Monday, July 17, 2006

How to Save a Life


I see so many portraits of women of all ages, and it dawns on me that certain things (e.g. pleasant-to-look-at face, svelte or voluptuous body) are simply not a foolproof pointer somebody is beautiful and/or desirable. Take the example of an inang tua (auntie) of mine: at 68, she still radiates a certain air of refinement it is neither snobby nor weak. Yes, she had a comparably delicate facial structure compared to her fellow female clan members. Yes, she coloured her hair black as many women of her age do. No, she didn't put any makeup on. No, she wasn't wearing branded clothes. No, she wasn't impressively genius but she is able to carry a conversation to please both the guest-in-conversation and her curiosity (hence a good host). Therefore, in her I observed beauty consists of grace, patience, intelligence and a little bit of a sweet face.

Some people possess this smile so genuine it makes you want to keep them smiling just for the sake of looking at their smiling face; I can't explain why.

On the issue of being a woman, I would like to state that I behave differently in the sense that I feel less inhibited to express my beliefs and act upon them. What I observe during the past year of my life that this is not the common approach women in Indonesia use when expressing themselves. However, I also admit that there are a number of areas in which I still need to brush myself up. Go figure! Fingers crossed :D

There is one question that I must answer: what makes me beautiful?

(Honestly, I think it's a question that may take a lifetime to answer.)

Take care and sleep well.

As he begins to raise his voice
You lower yours and gave him one last choice
Drive until you lose the road
Or break with the ones you've followed
He will do one of two things
He will admit to everything
Or he'll say he's just not the same
And you'll begin to wonder why you came

Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

No comments: